It’s no secret that E Commerce is booming, now more so than ever with the pandemic having tethered everyone to their homes. We may be on the backend of Covid-19, but the wave of E Commerce companies is still worth riding. With that being said, there are a few key attributes you need to differentiate your store and stand out in the saturated realm of online shopping. Amazon has a firm grasp on their slice of the E Commerce pie, so setting out to sell everything from “a” to “z” is nothing more than a fool’s errand.
That’s not to say it’s not possible for you to find your fortune though. You just need to focus on a few key attributes, which we’ve been kind enough to itemize below.
1. You Need to Have a Story
The giants in this industry sell on the power of convenience. So to compete, you need to leverage the power of creativity. People who purchase from boutique E Commerce companies aren’t buying for convenience or even reliability; they’re buying the story … a lifestyle, a dream. Be sure that your line of products has a vehicle to appeal to your customers’ emotions and desires.
Let’s turn to an example. The following descriptions are for a leather tote bag. The first simply states product specifications, the second does the same but through the lens of a narrative.
- Description A: This sturdy, leather tote bag is great for everyday commuting and will withstand normal wear and tear. Product measures 24” by 16”. Made in Turkey.
- Description B: This is a bag for the adventurer in you. Hand-crafted in Turkey by artisan fabricators from real, Turkish leather, this resilient is bag is able to keep pace with even the most rugged explorers.
Which one sounds better to you? If people can put themselves into an “ideal” by imagining themselves with your product, then that’s when a product story is successful, and why it’s so necessary.
2. Differentiate from other E Commerce Companies By Niching Down
Like we said above, don’t go try to sell everything to everyone. Leave that to the giants. Instead, choose a niche product or product line with a clear target demographic. Make yourself an expert in the surrounding industry and augment product listings with value-adding content and useful information. Why does niching work?
- People are more likely to buy from a source that appears to be an authority in that space.
- Having a clear picture of your target demographic facilitates more precise and repeatable marketing.
- You can focus your efforts on developing better SEO, better content, and an all around better understanding of your industry.
This isn’t to say you can’t have multiple E Commerce companies. Feel free to have one that sells shows and one that sells supplements, but be sure to focus each storefront in one niche where you can confidently win.
3. Make Sure That Your Store Looks Professional
The world is online, now more than ever, and that’s made for a much more visually savvy customer. Most people won’t be able to whip out their “designer” hat and critique your work upon viewing, but they will be able to say “this doesn’t look as good as the places I’m used to buying from (i.e. Amazon, Target, Walmart, Apple, AliExpress, Alibaba, etc.)”. Maintaining a professional aesthetic can be as simple as choosing a great website theme and sticking to that formula. You don’t need to hire someone or take a design course, just be mindful of the manner in which you’re presenting your brand. Be sure that the experience is smooth all the way from browsing to checkout, and that things look consistent and part of the same business.
Pretty simple right? With platforms like Shopify and WordPress, and with plenty of access options to drop shipping suppliers, the time has never been better to get into the E Commerce game with minimal upfront investment. Happy selling!
P.s. Let us know in the comments what your brand does to differentiate itself!